The Mozambican government has promoted the director of projects and development at petroleum regulator INP to the post of chairman, taking the place of Carlos Zacarias who was appointed minister of mineral resources and energy in March
Mozambique tendered 16 new oil and gas exploration blocks at the launch of the country’s sixth licencing round on Thursday, 25 November
Oil companies that have previously expressed interest in the new round include TotalEnergies, ExxonMobil, Eni, Sasol, Shell, BP and China’s CNOOC
The global transition away from fossil fuels, coupled with ongoing insecurity in Cabo Delgado province, mean Mozambique’s enormous gas reserves risk becoming stranded assets
All work at the LNG site has been suspended, but Total may have only declared force majeure with the government on its exploration and production concession contract, and not with its contractors -- yet
Sasol’s spending on its Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) licence in Inhambane will nearly halve from an initially estimated $1.77 billion, to to $984 million, under an amended development plan approved by the Mozambique government at the end of September
Minister Max Tonela said the government must first improve regulations to allow “a better optimization or maximization of these resources for Mozambique” before launching the next oil and gas block round
Mozambique’s petroleum regulator hopes to launch a sixth exploration licensing round this year, but is still reviewing some legal aspects of the bidding process and deciding which blocks to put up for auction.
The LNG projects operated by Total and ExxonMobil may be able to deduct the extra costs they spend on security in Cabo Delgado against future project revenues, as the security situation in the northern Mozambican province continues to deteriorate, the chairman of Mozambique's petroleum regulator INP, Carlos Zacarias told journalists on Thursday.
Welcome to Zitamar’s daily Mozambique briefing for Tuesday, 4 February 2020 Zitamar Daily Briefing Feb…...